Monday 26 May 2014

Day 63 - Raising The Bar

Another Typical Monday

Just another typical monday morning, back at Cerberus. Frosty, well chilly mist, but still at 0545h before sunrise, its not the most appetising wake up. Sluggishly I crawled out of bed, rubbed my eyes and with a yawn started to walk around / drift around the room trying to locate my gym clothes in the dark - the thought of bright fluorescent lights furiously beaming at me was not very appealing. I threw on my clothes, downed a pre-workout and headed out into the dark.... As I walked I continued to review my plan for my morning's workout...desperately hoping to get my gears shifted into high....slowly I started to warm up and get into my normal head state - perhaps the chilly mist was waking me up?

On arrival at the gym I was still not in high gear, but I was warming up to it...I worked through my new back and abdominal endurance workout, with lower weights than last week but higher intensity. I felt really good about the work I had done after 90 minutes... and my muscles were feeling that good burn I love so much! Abdominals were feeling tight, and as my walk back to my room progressed I felt like today, I'd see if I could push myself a little further.

After lunch I decided to go for a swim. I knocked over a pretty pleasing 1.5km swim in 40 minutes, and pushed through the shoulder and abdominal burn I was experiencing. After a good stretch, and about an hour to relax after my swim I intended to relax for the rest of the day...but that didn't last long. I ended up training on the squash court, solo for about 15 minutes of techniques I was taught in days gone by (when I was back in the UK) by an old collection of friends Mr Lewis, The Meredith's, The McQ's and regular on court tantrums playing against Mr Mouldie and co.... So after 15 minutes of nostalgic forehand and backhand training (in the box for 20), behind the line for 20, 20 lobs, 20 drops...etc... I was asked if I wanted to play squash (in a match) with a sailor. I courteously agreed - who wouldn't want to actually play squash on a squash court!! It was a good game, I emerged victorious after 3 games, each played well by both players. I started remembering the old days where the golden ladies of squash would play lots of airy balls,  lobbing opponents and taking the power right out. I started to play with a few mixed shots and I held my own on the 'T' for most of the match. Feeling pleased with my efforts, post game, I rewarded myself in true squash style... a cool cider, a glass of red wine and cognac enjoyed fireside in the wardroom.

Raising My Bar

So, as you may have read yesterday, I'm thinking of entering a few events to test my preparation, keep my focused on my training goals and prepare me for next summer's triathlon events (if I'm not posted to sea). Well, further to that, my awesome wifey-dearest, Winnie, registered me for the City2Surf in August, and my original 2014 goal of running the Sydney Marathon. I've never done 42km straight, but I know in my heart that I can pull it off - besides I remember saying that if it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you. Well, this will be my biggest challenge of 2014. I will achieve it. I will finish. Thats what's important about goal setting; set the goal, and ensure you get there... I'm gonna need help, and I'm gonna need a lot of support to pull this off. So, if you can, your support would be appreciated.

Just to raise the bar a little higher, I'm going to make sure I do it and I'm going to raise money for a charity that's close to my heart, and I'll keep you posted, just waiting on some information first.

Well, there we have it. Monday, done and dusted, with a hint of nostalgia, hope and promise thrown into the mix!

No comments:

Post a Comment