Saturday 27 September 2014

Marathon Preparation & Execution

Marathon Man.


It's been a long and tiresome road, and I'd like to apologise for being offline for a while. Early starts at unfriendly times, running in the rain, wet feet and gel farts (from electrolytes) have been keeping me occupied recently. There was soreness, aches, pains and days of seemingly endless dehydration and thirst. But the journey to prepare for my first marathon was massive. It was a personal endeavour of epic proportions. It was, however, more than I had ever told anybody, and now a few days after completing my first ever marathon, and the legs are back to normal, I'd like to share.

The decision to run a marathon was not something I'd suggest taking lightly. You gotta prepare yourself in every possible way. Yes there's physical conditioning; strength training, stamina training, speed work, hill training, short runs, long runs....pace runs, time trials and well miles and miles of heart. You gotta be aware that its not just the running. It's far more than that. You need to also consider the mental preparation that you need to do - you need to force yourself to run, even when you don't want to. You might not like the heat. You may hate running in the rain.  You may not like early mornings, or hours and hours of time away from loved ones. You might doubt yourself, but whatever it is, you need to prepare yourself, and get over whatever you don't like, or usually avoid to prepare.


For me, running every weekend in the rain, most evening in the dark and spending hours away from my darling wifey, were the hardest. Sure I'm an ex-pom and I'm used to the rain, but it's physically draining, plus you get more friction from your clothes and skin, your at greater risk of trips and falls and injuries - so it's pretty de-motivating some times. It's those times I reminded myself of the reasons I chose to do this seemingly insane venture. It was also most prominent of me to remember those immortal words of Michelle Bridges (who incidentally was the head coach for the Blackmore's Sydney Running Festival) 

"JFDI - Just Freaking Do It".

My Reasons


So, what was it the pushed me through all those hours, kilometres and seriously chaffed legs (and arms)? In truth, I did the 42.2km run to test my resolve, to prove to myself I could do it and most of all I wanted to earn my Bateman running stripes by completing the cycle. Throughout my entire life I've had the pleasure of watching my parents complete every type of running festival except the marathon, and they completed them together. For one reason or another, it was a challenge to great and maybe too risky for them to attempt, and I decided that as their son I would take up the challenge and complete it on my family's behalf. I wanted a Bateman from my family to finish a marathon. It's probably silly to hear, but my parents blessed my marriage to Winnie with a very special gift that has been with them on every run, my mum's wedding ring. I now wear this ring (7 sizes bigger) as my own wedding ring, and so carry the weight of their love. I also carry (closely to my heart) the experiences that have made this ring most precious to me. It needed the marathon and it now has that too. It's up to me to add the next new experiences! 



I was told by a cardiologist that my heart operates like a marathon runner's - not bad for an out of shape fatty, but I couldn't believe that until it had run a marathon....NOW I have a marathon runner's heart, which incidentally beats very slowly, but very powerfully.

In terms of my resolve, I needed to see this through. I needed to know if I could actually do it, and if I could actually do it well.

I'm a distance runner.
I've been trained to keep going even when it's hard.
When it hurts, When it sucks.
When I don't want to

I look past it.
Relentless forward progress to the finish.
Call it what you want:
Stubbornness, Endurance, Determination. Guts.

Deep Down,
I don't know how to give up.
(and its always worth it in the end)

Preparations

Well, if you've been following this blog I've been preparing since the start of this year. I ran when I posted down to Melbourne, I ran at every opportunity and I spent a lot of time getting ready. I invested in proper running shoes and socks. I made sure I had good running clothes. I tested compression technology. I tried "Skins" and "2XU" products and I reviewed them, determining that 2XU are way better than skins. I was forced to learn and adapt myself to understand, and apply basic nutrition for runners and how to 'feed yourself' on the runs. I instigated the assistance of Iron Ray and researched glutard friendly electrolyte gels and  supplements for recovery. I planned my runs, and used tools like Map My Run and Garmin Express to keep up with my progress. It's been hard finding the time to write on tho blog but I've kept notes and now I'll elaborate!

Learning to chow down on energy providing foods, slow release carbohydrates, fast release proteins, energy and electrolyte drinks, gels, chews and the methods of carbo-loading building up to the big runs and eventually race day was one of the toughest elements. Get it wrong and you get cramps, indigestion and dehydration. Get it right and you run well, but still have to go through the ringer to train for all the other potential risks!

I found on the long runs two things that took a lot of planning that really contribute to my marathon:
Coconut Water and Electrolyte Chomps! The Coco-water was great, but I needed to run with it and the chomps needed to be timed and not just munched on for fun. I developed a routine of one chew every 15 minutes after the 60 minute mark. I then added the extra carton of coco-water at the 25km mark..my only issues were how I was carrying all this and trying not to spill the sticky-coco-water as I sipped it on the move...I was pretty tired of sticky hand syndrome (plus I felt like I was wasting precious electrolyte) so I developed a novel tool to assist me.... a straw! I pierced a straw and sipped it down like a boss! It did however take me up until race day to work this out!


Also, learning the benefits of compression tights, I realised that keeping them on post long-runs was a must for at least 30-45minutes to ease the soreness, and it worked very well for me.


In the course of 9 months or so (give or take a few weeks) I managed to clock up 413.89km of running training, thats 41:12:07 of running time and that doesn't include the time spend training in the gym, pool or on the bike. All my training has been for my three goals, but each one was building for this: 100km cycle (leg and core strength, cardio endurance and fitness), City2Surf (legs, breathing an nutrition planning) and then the marathon!

Race Day



How I put it to my friends and family: "I'm gonna finish, but I wanna be under 4:30 hrs"......

How I thought it: "I hope I finish it, If I do I wanna be back under 4:00 hrs"....

How it went: "crap I'm running too fast, JFDI, hang on I just passed 30km...crap look at that - Pyrmont Bridge....gulp....my legs are not gonna like that...." 

How I pushed through: "I'm gonna sprint finish...what's the worst that can happen...crap there's people who know me, run faster, faster keep pushing don't give up...."

Cue the Rocky soundtrack....


Finished. Jump up and down...hang on, legs can't jump. 

Here's the stats...

Distance: 42.2km
Time: 03:55:55
Average Pace: 05:35min/km
Calories Burnt: 3004 Calories
Average Speed: 10.7km/h
Max Speed: 61.1km/h
Average Heart Rate: 158bpm (85% of Max)
Max Heart Rate: 181bpm (98% of Max)

Link to a couple videos: Click Here :) and enter my Bib Number 13762 or Garry Bateman 
and watch the three short videos of my run! Im the beardie dude in turquoise singlet and 2XU Tights! 






No comments:

Post a Comment