Sunday 28 September 2014

Phase Two - Giving Up

Giving Up...


The hardest part about being healthy and moving towards being fit is giving up those hard to quit vices. My vice, my one thing that I cannot seem to live without has always been Coca-Cola, and all other forms of sugary, soft fizzy drinks. They have always been my refreshment 'go -to' for as long as I can remember and honestly, I've known for a very long time that its part of the reason why I never shift those stubborn inches of unfriendly, unhealthy fatty tissue. Well, not anymore!

It's going to be hard, but I intend to diarise my next goal - Quitting Coke (and other soft fizzy drinks). I'm going to get fit, that goes without saying since my Naval career demands me to be, but I'm going to give up the fizzy drink that I've been consuming at an alarming rate. I'm going to follow a Yoda philosophy and I'm not going to say try...

 Yoda, Jedi Master - Star Wars V, The Empire Strikes Back

On the back of my trifecta of goals this year, I decided not to wait for the anti-climax, and push on with another goal for 2014. So, I'm a gonna kick the habit and give up Coke (and other soft fizzy drinks) and keep pushing myself to get as far away from FAT and as close to FIT as I can!

I left this post until I had completed 3 whole days before writing it and today is the 4th.... Since I'm not always going to have a good signal (I'm currently deployed) to post I'll be writing everyday (ish) and posting all of the written blogs in bundles! It's the best I can do.

So, Why Coke? Well, as long as I can remember I've been a little addicted to coke, well any cola derivative and well, as much as I enjoy a refreshing cola beverage, I'd like to think that I can live without the urge to drink it. Luckily, I've never needed cola for it's caffeinated properties, instead I just love the taste and the sweetness. Well, thats where I've realised I need to focus my attention. As I've known for a while a single 12oz / 355ml can of coke contains 34g of sugar (or equivalent to sugar in the High fructose corn syrup), which is like swallowing 10 teaspoon of sugar, every time I knock back a can of cola... that's just wrong. My dentist would agree, my wife definitely agrees and almost anyone interested in health and fitness would be like "Derrr! We know that Gaffa!" - however its taken me almost a year of training, eating right and developing my own nutrition to realise I'm potentially reversing all the good I've been doing. If I drink 4 cans of coke (I have been known to smash more in a day), which is like 48oz / 1420ml of coke I'm consuming 136g of sugar... thats 40 freaking teaspoons of sugar...no wonder there's such a concern for obesity when people consume large quantities of cola (and other soda pops).

I've decided to ignore all of the advice out there, in lieu of knowing my own body. I'm aware that I should reduce my coke intake until I stop 'needing' it, but I know that one taste and I'm hook again, so I'm going cold turkey... at least I'll be a grouchy bugger at sea and not at home! I've had a headache and I've lost my appetite this week already, so I'm hoping for some stability there.

Apparently I'm supposed to get a caffeine withdrawal, but I doubt that'll happen since I drink coffee - which incidentally I've reduced in consumption too!

Wish me luck. This may be a bigger challenge than a marathon!  

No comments:

Post a Comment