Wednesday 11 June 2014

Days 73-78: Crazy Busy!

OH MY GOSH!

I have been so crazy busy this past week or so. Last wednesday was my last post, and I'm sorry I dropped off the radar. Moving interstate was a very time consuming endeavour, which meant training was put on hold. I dabbled to stay in the game, but nothing substantial until today!

I also had the opportunity to spend an entire weekend at home, between location changes, with my lovely wifey. So, being the try hard hubby that I am, I made sure that the whole weekend was devoted to all things concerning my better half. This also took its toll on me and my regimen.

Sometimes, life gets in the way, and we can't do jack about it. We just have to acknowledge it, accept our situation and create the next opportunity to get back into the rhythm as soon as we can.

Last night, I moved to my latest destination, for a new training course which will take me to my honeymoon and then my subsequent posting to a sea going ship will follow that. Mr Peds will be my companion as we move forwards, he will join ship sooner. My new location, at least is in the same state (NSW), although technically Jervis Bay falls under the ACT...so we're not...but it is only 2-3 hours drive from home...easy.

So, day 77 was spent packing, driving, unpacking and settling into my new cabin. I managed a quick 500m swim in the pool here at HMAS Creswell. It's a smaller 25m pool, so times will be quicker and it'll take a little more to fatigue me!

Run Swiftly


Today, Day 78, was quite fun. I woke early, at 0500h, and got my lazy bum out of bed. I decided last night that I would use mapmyrun to plan an early run. I planned to knock it over before class. I planned everything except the rain.


I launched into my run. From my accommodation I ran down to the medical centre and past the NEOC accommodation, then down to and around the post office, a loop around the quarter deck passing behind the clock tower, then around the 2.4km route and past the front of the clock tower. From there I ran past the wardroom, then out into the darkness, down past the Captain's house, and the waterfront and back up the hill. At the top I past the NEOC accommodation, turned right and ran up to the gate. I returned and repeated the 5km loop.

At 7km, as I looped the quarter deck, the rain started - gently at first, teasing me. I ran past some New Officer Trainees doing their fitness test 2.4km runs, and thought "at least I'm here by choice, they have to be here..." As I said this to myself the rain tease turned into a heavy drizzle. As I looped behind the Captain's house again, the rain got heavier, and heavier until as I ran up the hill from the waterfront I was starting to feel like a drowning rat...reminiscent of my NEOC 49 days, I power on through. Rain still getting harder, bigger drops, more sideways - right in the face, actually.


By the time I was at the gate I was ignoring the rain, the reduced visibility and enjoying the freedom I was feeling. I was soaked through, and still determined to make it back to complete the 10km. As I reached my destination I realised I was at 9.83km (not quite 10km). I can live with that. 54:29:10, so my pace average was around 6:02 min/km, and average heart rate was 147bpm.

Lesson in Leadership using Volleyball

I had never played volleyball, until today. Our course instructor (I'm on a leadership course) decided he wanted to teach us using the medium of volleyball....awesome! First a game of rally-point and then a game of penalty-volleyball. Basically, the crux of it was teach us that the first game participants were not as committed, or accountable to their teammates that game two. Game two, rules were simple. If you messed up and the team lost a point, you sat out and did push-ups, sit-up or something to that effect. The only way to get back on was for your team to score a point without you. Objective of the game is simple - reduce the opposing team's players to zero. It surprising how much more competitive, and how much more you'll try for your teammates when there are consequences, and that was the lesson. I have to say, this was an awesome way to get us out of the classroom, bond with our new classmates, and teach some valuable skills. Thanks LEUT Johno.

Tuesday Night Football

As if I'd not had enough cardio for one day, I played 60 minutes of indoor football. Players and location have changed a little, but the game was just as hard with some very silky skills. In fact, Nerdy-Norm turned out to be a dark horse. First match, and he scores the first 4 goals, and has some very dazzling skills....another part-dutchie I think...

Time for bed now. Tomorrow I'll be hitting the gym proper. I will need to work out a new schedule to suit earlier class starts. I looks like no morning session, unless I run early, and a bigger evening session.....Sorry for being so lazy... But, I'm back now.


No comments:

Post a Comment